Happiness Found in Ecuador

If I were to focus in on anything that grabbed my attention, it would have to be how friendly and happy every Ecuadorian I have met has been. My first full day here I went to the pharmacy to buy sunscreen and bug spray, not knowing any Spanish I stood there silent and awkward trying to dig in my brain for the Spanish translation but it never came. Luckily, a kind woman in line knew a tiny bit of English and we figured out what I needed.

Soon after, spending the day with my host mom proved to be a challenge since we both only knew a little bit of each other’s language. The first night, dinner was silent until my host sister arrived. The conversation I had with my host mom through my sister helped to shed light on how interested my host mom was in my life. The next day, I went upstairs to ask about the day’s plans and my host mom pulled up google translate. The conversation started to pick up speed and I found myself answering questions all about my life. I never expected someone to care so much about my life.


We have passed so many favelas on our trips but in each tiny town the Ecuadorians have done nothing but smile and wave at us. While talking to the kids, I could tell how happy they are even though they don’t have much. It’s a bit cheesy to say that I can learn a lot from people who live here, but I really believe I’ll come back to the states with more mindfulness, kindness, and curiosity in everyday life.


Popular Posts