Veganized | Home-made Vegan Queso

The second hardest part (the first being social influences and cultural norms) of going vegan is the food cravings you have to overcome. Cheese is usually the culprit of this, and is also quite often the reason people could "just never go vegan". I've heard pretty often, and even used to say myself, "I could go without milk and eggs but I just couldn't give up cheese!" This is a reasonable statement considering how highly addicting cheese is and how abundant it is in our diets....I mean it is in EVERYTHING!!


But, I digress. I love cheese and giving it up cold turkey has been a challenge, which is why I'm trying to ease myself away from cheese and into a healthier lifestyle by trying out cheese substitutes.
If you're familiar with vegan cheese you know they are nothing like
the real thing, I mean honestly.
With that being said, I found a pretty damn close recipe, it does have an unusual healthy after-taste though I must admit, but it's still delicious and I'm addicted.

I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) so it is not mine by any means, but I did add black beans to my finished product for something extra. It's super quick and simple, with easy to find ingredients. I was also impressed at the way this vegan cheese behaves like real cheese.

Ingredients

  • 2 C. potatoes, diced large
  • 1 C. carrots, diced large
  • 1/2 C. water
  • 1/3 C. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice 
  • 1/2 C. nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder (opt.)
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (opt.)
  • dash of cayenne (opt.)
  • 1/2 tsp. McKay's chicken-style seasoning, vegan (opt.)

Instructions

  • Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft.
  • Blend potatoes and carrots together along with the rest of the ingredients on high in blender until the cheese is extremely smooth.
  • Store in refrigerator for up to a week.

The original posting can be found on http://www.veggieonapenny.com/vegan-cheese/








Popular Posts